Grimshaw Origins and History
Welcome to the website on the English family of Grimshaw!
Please Note! The Grimshaw Origins website has been migrated from FrontPage to WordPress in 2015 and 2016. Because of the inherent challenges with FrontPage, this migration has been a long and laborious process. And it’s not over yet. Many webpages still have issues that will have to be resolved over the coming months (and years!) Please be patient, as there are more than 370 webpages covering various aspects of the “Grimshaw story” on this website.
The Grimshaw surname originated in Lancashire in the northern part of England, apparently around 1000 A.D. There appear to be few records of Grimshaw family lines for the first 200 to 250 years.
However, it is highly probable that the family’s roots are connected to the town of Grimsargh, which is a short distance northeast of Preston. The earliest recorded Grimshaw was Gilbert, father of William Grimshaw, who held the Manor of Grimsargh in thenage in 1242.
The Grimshaw surname originated near Preston which is in northern England. Preston’s location (indicated by orange circle) is shown in relation to Liverpool, Manchester, Blackburn and Leeds, all of which were important in Grimshaw family history. Map source: Bing Maps.
This website seeks to tell portions of the Grimshaw story. A few highlights are presented on this homepage. There are a total of more than 370 webpages on this website covering various aspects of the Grimshaw story. More information on this Grimshaw Origins website may be found on a companion webpage, About This Website. The following search tool may help find a specific person or topic of interest.
- “Hall of Fame” for Contributors
- A New Homepage
- Aaron and Joshua Grimshaw
- About the “Grimshaw Origins” Website
- Charles and Rebecca (Richmond) Bice
- Distribution of the Grimshaw Surname in England in 1881 and 1998
- Encyclopedia of American Quaker
- Environmental Websites
- Freda Elaine (Sehnert) Bice
- Grimshaw Booklet
- Grimshaw Obituaries
- Grimshaw Origins Website Management
- Grimshaws in Heritage Quest
- Grimshaws in the “Find-A-Grave”
- Grimshaws in the Family and Local Histories Database of Ancestry.com
- Grimshaws Living in the U.S.
- Grimshaws Living in the U.S. – State and City List
- Harleian Manuscripts
- Jay and Bessie (Cummings) Rogers
- Jay and Bessie Rogers Addendum
- Jay and Bessie Rogers Addendum 2
- Jeremiah and Martha (Bennett) Rogers
- Joe & Freda Bice Trip to Mexico
- LDS Pedigree Resource Files
- Mavis Long’s Grimshaw Research
- Quaker Records of Grimshaws
- Richard and Anna (Grassman) Sehnert
- Site Map
- SIte Map – Homepage
- Site Map – Old
- The Y2K Grimshaw Yearbook
- What’s New?
- World Population of Grimshaws