George E Grimshaw, from Masonic Website
(Note: Webpage in preparation)
The Grimshaw Gudewicz Foundation was founded by George E Grimshaw and his friend, Irene Gudewicz. The foundation has supported a number of projects, including the Grimshaw-Gudewicz Art Gallery at Bristol Community College, Fall River, MA; the Grimshaw-Gudewicz Medical Building at Brown University, Providence, RI; and others, including scholarship programs at several universities. It has not yet been determined which Grimshaw line George Grimshaw is descended from.
Thanks go to
|Grimshaw-Gudewicz Gallery Website|
|Bristol Community College|
|Masonic Lodge Entry|
Grimshaw-Gudewicz Charitable Foundation
The Grimshaw-Gudewicz Charitable Foundation has made several major gifts to the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts Scholarship program. Under the terms of these gifts, the scholarships must be awarded to students who are graduates of New Bedford High School or, alternatively, are residents of Bristol County in Massachusetts.
The Grimshaw-Gudewicz Charitable Foundation was established by Brother George E. Grimshaw and his long-time companion, Irene Gudewicz. His close friend and financial advisor, Arthur Parker, remembered Brother Grimshaw. “George Grimshaw represents the realization of the American dream. A man who had little to start with – no education, he never inherited a dime – but through hard work he became very successful, and has given so much. That’s the American story: anybody can do it with the will, the ability, the guts. He grew up without a father around, and was raised largely by his grandparents while his mother worked as a full-time school teacher in New Bedford, Massachusetts. He was what you call a latchkey kid. After graduating from high school, he went to work as a night shift errand boy for the Continental Screw Company in New Bedford. He was a natural engineer and would work on any machine until he understood exactly how it ran, and, I guess, he was barely twenty when they made him night foreman because he was so good.”
“At Continental Screw Company he met Irene S. Gudewicz who, with George, left Continental Screw Company in 1933 and, with a modest amount of seed capital from her mother, Irene and George started Grim-Grip, which manufactured stainless steel screws in New Bedford. He was in his early 20’s with his own company up and running in the heart of the Great Depression. Irene and George worked very long and hard. In 1950, he sold this company and started another business called Stillwater, in Freetown, Massachusetts. In 1969, George sold Stillwater to Pneumo-Dynamics, and that was the beginning of his wealth.”
“Of all the attributes I remember about George, the most striking was his sense of organization. All his life, he gave to a wide variety of people and charities. He gave without reservation and without expecting anything in return – no personal thanks or gratitude. Irene was a big part of George’s life and she helped immensely working in the office, the packing department, the production department, and with major policy decision both in business and personal matters.”
Brother Grimshaw was a member of Star In The East-Paskamansett Lodge. He was raised on April 28, 1930. He received the Veteran’s Medal on June 1, 1980. In addition to his business interests, he enjoyed woodworking and built many clocks, cabinets, and shelves which he gave away to organizations such as the Peterborough, New Hampshire Library. He enjoyed playing the organ and helped finance the restoration of the organ in the Zeiterion Theater in New Bedford. At age eighty-seven, he began computerizing his financial records and took great delight in sending his accountants his quarterly reports of those transactions which would affect his taxes. He passed away in February, 1995.
|Handlin, Garrahan, Zachos & Associates|
Grimshaw-Gudewicz Art Gallery, Bristol Community College Fall River, Massachusetts
The brick mass of this Art Gallery complements the existing campus buildings, while its glass corner window and angular entrance canopy act as welcoming beacons. The main gallery space is lit by north-facing light monitors, its display walls interrupted only by the corner window, with views to the campus green.
In this project we designed two flexible exhibition spaces for a variety of contemporary installations. The primary gallery accommodates large two- and three-dimensional works, while a reception gallery at the entrance houses smaller pieces. An outdoor sculpture garden wraps around the building and marks a second entrance to the museum.
|Grimshaw-Gudewicz Medical Building, Brown University, Providence, RI|
From Martha Mitchells Encyclopedia Brunoniana:
Grimshaw-Gudewicz Medical Building
The Grimshaw-Gudewicz Medical Building, a six-story wing of the Bio-Medical Center, was dedicated on April 20-21, 1990, at exercises which included an inaugural lecture, From Ionic Currents to Molecules, by William A. Catterall 68, and a keynote address by Louis W. Sullivan, U. S. Secretary of Health and Human Services. The building is named for George Grimshaw, a friend of the medical program, and his wife, Irene Gudewicz.
Webpage posted June 2004. Updated November 2005 with additions of information from G-G website and photos from architect website.