George Grimshaw, Born in Dukinfield, England
Emigrated to St. Louis, Missouri and Married Rebecca Kennedy
George and Rebecca (Kennedy) Grimshaw
George Grimshaw was born in Dukinfield on October 8, 1835 to George and Ann (Higginbottom) Grimshaw. He emigrated from England to St Louis, Missouri in time to marry Rebecca Kennedy in St Louis on November 6, 1865. George and Rebecca had nine children; the second born was George Morse Grimshaw. George and Rebecca Grimshaw lived out their lives in St Louis and are buried there in St Peters Cemetery.
George’s older brother, William Henry Grimshaw, and his wife Hannah (Benton) Grimshaw, also emigrated to America and lived in Wisconsin. They are described in a companion webpage.
Thanks go to Steven Gerard Grimshaw for providing the information on this webpage. Photos are from Steven’s webpage at:
|Photo of George and Rebecca (Kennedy) Grimshaw with Son George Morse Grimshaw|
The following photo is from Steven Gerard Grimshaw’s website. The child in Rebecca’s lab has not been identified.
|Ancestor and Descendant Chart for George Grimshaw from Ancestry.com|
The David Jeffrey Reitz Family Tree on Ancestry.com provides extensive information on George Grimshaw’s ancestors and descendants. The chart is shown below with George’s parents, George and Ann (Higginbottom) Grimshaw. The Patterson Family Tree has additional information on the Bertha Grimshaw and Albert Nelson line. The Rowe tree has more information on the Rowe children of Sarah J (Grimshaw) Rowe.
George Grimshaw (4 Jun 1797, Shrewsbury, Shropshire – ?) & Ann Higginbottom (ca 1806, Ashton-under-Lyne, Lancashire – ?). Married 30 Jun 1827, Manchester Cathedral, Manchester
|—1 William Henry Grimshaw 1828, Dukinfield, Cheshire – ?) & Hannah Benton (ca 1830, Hurst, Lancashire – ?). Married 6 June 1851, St Michael Church, Ashton-under-Lyne, Lancashire
|—|—2 Sarah Jane Grimshaw (27 Oct 185, Iowa County, WI – 3 Jan 1921, Jefferson County, MO) & William James Rowe (4 Jul 1839, Mineral Point, WI – ?). Married 4 Sep 1875.
|—|—|—3 Annie T Rowe (11 Aug 1877 – 16 May 1880)
|—|—|—3 William A Rowe (Aug 1879, Missouri – ?)
|—|—|—3 John Franklin Rowe (25 Oct 1881 – 14 Aug 1959) & Rose Anna Cernicek (19 Mar 1904 – 7 Jun 1988)
|—|—|—3 Elizabeth Ann Rowe (2 Jan 1884, Valle, MO – 21 Jul 1950, MO) & unknown Heath
|—|—|—3 Lillie Grace Rowe (13 Feb 1886, Avoca Valle Twp, Jefferson County, MO – ?) & Charles C Perkins (1878, Herculaneum, MO – ?)
|—|—|—3 James H Rowe (Mar 1891, MO – ?)
|—|—|—3 Mary E Rowe (Jan 1894, MO – ?)
|–1 George Grimshaw (8 Oct 1835, Dukinfield, Cheshire 24 Nov 1890, St Louis, MO & Rebecca C Kennedy (21 May 1842, Steubenville, OH 8 Apr 1915, St Louis, MO). Married 6 Nov 1865, St Louis, MO.
|—|—2 Harry Grimshaw (bef 1868 1887, St Louis, MO)
|—|—2 George Morse Grimshaw (17 Oct 1868, St Louis MO 31 Aug 1938, St Louis, MO) & Mary Euphrasia Ranger (20 Jan 1869, St Genevieve, MO 10 Aug 1962, St Louis, MO). Married 3 Oct 1894, St Ann, MO.
|—|—|—3 Grace Beatrice Grimshaw (21 Aug 1895, Missouri 26 Aug 1991, Festuc, MO) & Magnus Ramsey Snipen. Married 27 Apr 1918, St Louis Missouri.
|—|—|—3 Augusta Henrietta Grimshaw (27 Apr 1897, Missouri 24 Nov 1977, Creve Coeur, MO) &John Joseph Long
|—|—|—3 Louise Geraldine Grimshaw (21 Jan 1899, Pine Lawn, MO 15 Mar 1989, St Louis, MO) & George Washington Arnold (? 1972). Married 29 Jun 1925.
|—|—|—|—4 Edward E Arnold
|—|—|—|—4 Mary Louise Arnold
|—|—|—|—4 George Washington Arnold
|—|—|—3 B Dorothy Grimshaw (7 May 1903, Pine Lawn, MO Jun 1903, Pine Lawn, MO)
|—|—|—3 George Louis Grimshaw (14 Sep 1904, St Louis MO 30 Sep 1970, Antonia, MO) & Florence Elizabeth Crowley (1 Aug 1909, St Louis MO – ?). Married 7 Jun 1928, St Louis MO.
|—|—|—|—4 Private Grimshaw
|—|—|—|—4 Dede Grimshaw
|—|—3 Sydney Jennie Grimshaw (7 Apr 1870, St Louis, MO 6 May 1954, St Louis, MO) & Gottfried Frueh. Married 1899.
|—|—|—3 Unknown Frueh
|—|—|—3 Unknown Frueh
|—|—|—3 Magdalena Emma Frueh
|—|—|—|–4 Bertha Frueh
|—|—|—3 Louis Frueh
|—|—|—3 John Jacob Frueh
|—|—|—3 Laura Frueh
|—|—2 Bertha Grimshaw (17 Mar 1872, St Louis, MO 7 Jan 1942, St Louis, MO) & Albert Nelson (12 Dec 1865, Sweden 19 Nov 1941, St Louis, MO). Married 1895, St Louis, MO.
|—|—|—3 Selma Josephine Nelson
|—|—|—3 Alfred Nelson
|—|—|—3 Hilda Bertha Nelson
|—|—|—3 Emma Nelson
|—|—2 Joseph Grimshaw (ca 1873 1887)
|—|—2 Edward Grimshaw (17 Mar 1875, St Louis County, MO 24 Jul 1943, Vinita Park, MO) & Mary Zykan (29 Jul 1884, Martinsburg, MO 31 Jul 1941, Vinita Park, MO).
|—|—2 Charles Grimshaw (Feb 1879 Sep 1879)
|—|—2 Alfred Grimshaw (23 Jul 1882, St Louis County, MO 18 May 1914, Pine Lawn, MO). & Elizabeth A Miller. Married 31 Mar 1909, Clayton, MO.
|—|—2 Helen Virginia Grimshaw 26 May 1885, St Louis County, MO 3 Apr, Pine Lawn, MO)
|—1 Jane Grimshaw (ca 1840, Dukinfield, Cheshire – ?)
|—1 Joseph Grimshaw (ca 1842, Dukinfield, Cheshire – ?)
|Photo of Rebecca Grimshaw and Her Grandchildren|
Steven Gerard Grimshaw posted the following photo of Rebecca Grimshaw and her grandchildren.
First Row: Edna Frueh; Hilda Nelson; Emma Nelson (On Rebecca Grimshaws lap); George L. Grimshaw
Second Row: Louis Frueh; Augusta Grimshaw; Selma Nelson; Louise Grimshaw; Laura Frueh
Third Row: Sertha Frueh; Lena Frueh; Grace Grimshaw; Jake Frueh.
|Photo of George Morse Grimshaw, Second Child of George and Rebecca Grimshaw|
Steven Gerard Grimshaw’s website also has a picture of George Morse Grimshaw, which is shown below.
|George Grimshaw Was Born In Dukinfield, near Mancherster|
George’s birthplace, is near Ashton-under-Lyne, a suburb of Manchester, as shown in the maps below.
|Final Resting Place of George and Rebecca (Kennedy) Grimshaw in St Louis|
George and Rebecca Grimshaw are buried in St Peters Cemetery near St Louis, Missouri. Thanks go to Susan Ing for taking the photos and making the transcriptions shown below.
Death: Nov., 1890
Spouse: Rebecca Kennedy Grimshaw (1842 – 1915)*
George M Grimshaw (1868 – 1938)*
Edward Grimshaw (1875 – 1943)*
Helen V Grimshaw (1881 – 1950)*
Alfred Grimshaw (1882 – 1915)*
Ref: Cemetery Records (using burial as death date)
Burial: Saint Peters Cemetery, Normandy, St. Louis County, Missouri, USA
Plot: Location (Section-Block-Lot-Part): 7-(none)-573.00-(none), Grave# 1
Created by: Graves
Record added: Apr 29, 2012
Find A Grave Memorial# 89326859
Added by: Susan Ing
Cemetery Photo Added by: Nancy McIntyre
A photo of the graves are shown below.
A closeup of George Grimshaw’s gravestone is shown below.
Top line not legible
Born Oct 8, 1835
Died Nov 24, 1890
The entrance to St Peters Cemetery in St Louis is shown in the following photo.
|George Grimshaw’s Brother, William Henry Grimshaw, Immigrated to Wisconsin|
William Henry Grimshaw was born in Dukinfield in 1828 to George and Ann (Higginbottom) Grimshaw. He married Hannah Benton in 1851 in Manchester Cathedral, and the couple emigrated to Wisconsin in time for the birth of their daughter, Sarah J Grimshaw, in 1856. Little is yet known of this Grimshaw couple, except that their daughter married William J Rowe and that couple had four children. William Henry and Rebecca (Benton) Grimshaw are described in a companion webpage.
|Steven Gerard Grimshaws Ancestor and Descendant Information|
Steven Gerard Grimshaw’s website includes the following detailed ancestor and descendant information for George Grimshaw. Click here for a more current and complete version.
Descendants of George Grimshaw
Generation No. 1
- George1 Grimshaw1 was born in Shr?pshere Shrewsbury, England. He married Ann Higginbottom1,2 July 30, 1827 in Cathedral, Manchester, Lancashire , England2. She was born Abt. 1806 in Lancashire , Ashton in Lyne, England2.
More About George Grimshaw:
Occupation: 1851, Fish Manager2
Residence: 1851, 238 Water Street, Dunkinfield (St. Mark), England2
More About George Grimshaw and Ann Higginbottom:
July 30, 1827, Cathedral, Manchester, Lancashire , England2
Children of George Grimshaw and Ann Higginbottom are:
i. George2 Grimshaw, born October 08, 1835 in Cheshire, Dunkinfield, England ; died November 24, 1890.
ii. William Henry Grimshaw, born 1828 in Cheshire, Dunkinfield, England .
iii. Jane Grimshaw2, born Abt. 1840 in Cheshire, Dunkinfield, England2.
iv. Joseph Grimshaw2, born Abt. 1842 in Cheshire, Dunkinfield, England2.
Generation No. 2
2. George2 Grimshaw (George1)3 was born October 08, 1835 in Cheshire , Dunkinfield, England4, and died November 24, 18905. He married Rebecca C. Kennedy6 November 06, 1865 in St. Louis, Missouri7, daughter of Gorgon Kennedy and Mary Brashear. She was born May 21, 1842 in Steubenville, Ohio8,9,10,11, and died April 08, 1915 in St. Louis, Missouri12.
Notes for George Grimshaw:
In the 1870 Census a man by the name of Henry Herling was listed as living in George’s household; He was listed as a White Male, Age 24, Occupation of Labourer, POB was Saxony; Father Foreign Birth was Yes; Mother Foreign Birth was Yes.
In the 1880 Census a man by the name of John Leech was listed as living in George’s household; He was listed as a White Male, Age 21, Relationship to Head of Household was Servant; Single; Occupation was Farm Laborer. POB was Pensylvania; POB Father was Penn.; POB Mother was Penn.
In the 1900 Census, George is not listed and Rebecca is listed as a widow.
More About George Grimshaw:
Baptism: November 08, 1835, Dukinfield, Ashton under Lyne13
Burial: November 27, 1890, St. Peter’s Cemetery, St. Louis, Missouri14
Notes for Rebecca C. Kennedy:
1900 Census has Rebecca living next to George Morse Grimshaw:
Grimshaw, Rebecca; Race=W; Sex=F; DOB=May 1842; Age=58; Widowed; Number of Children=11; Number of Living Children=6; POB Self=Ohio; POB Mother=Ohio; POB Father= Ohio; Read; Write; Speak English; Owned Property; Farm
1910 Census has Rebecca living with Alfred Grimshaw, his wife and nieces. Rebecca is identified as Mother and Alfred as head of household.
More About Rebecca C. Kennedy:
Burial: April 10, 1915, St. Peters Cemetary, St. Louis, Missouri15
Living: 1915, 6435 Lenox Avenue, Central Township , St. Louis, Missouri15
More About George Grimshaw and Rebecca Kennedy:
Marriage: November 06, 1865, St. Louis, Missouri16
Children of George Grimshaw and Rebecca Kennedy are: 6
i. Harry3 Grimshaw17.
More About Harry Grimshaw:
Burial: March 27, 1887, St. Peters Cemetary, St. Louis, Missouri18
3. William Henry2 Grimshaw (George1)66 was born 1828 in Cheshire, Dunkinfield, England67. He married Hannah Benton68 January 06, 1851 in St. Michael, Ashton unde Lyne, Lancaster County, England69, daughter of William Benton. She was born Abt. 1830 in Lancashire Hurst, England.
More About William Henry Grimshaw:
Baptism: June 21, 1828, Dukenfield, Ashton under Lyne70
Occupation: 1851, Fish Manager71
Residence: 1851, ? Waterloo Street, (St. Mark), England71
More About William Grimshaw and Hannah Benton:
Marriage: January 06, 1851, St. Michael, Ashton unde Lyne, Lancaster County , England72
Child of William Grimshaw and Hannah Benton is:
15 i. Sarah J.3 Grimshaw73, born October 1856 in Iowa County , Wisconsin74. She married William J. Rowe75 September 04, 1875; born July 04, 1839 in Mineral Point, Wisconsin75,76.
More About William Rowe and Sarah Grimshaw:
Marriage: September 04, 1875
Generation No. 3
7 ii. George Morse Grimshaw19,20, born October 17, 1868 in St. Louis, Missouri21,22,23; died August 31, 1938 in St. Louis, Missouri24,25. He married Mary Euphrasia Ranger26 October 03, 1894 in Normandy (St. Ann), Missouri26,27,28; born January 20, 1869 in Ste. Genevieve, Missouri29,30; died August 10, 1962 in Pine Lawn, St. Louis, Missouri31,32.
More About George Morse Grimshaw:
Burial: September 03, 1938, Memorial Park Cemetary, St. Louis County , Missouri33
Occupation: February 1938, Mortorman – Public Service33
Residence: August 1938, 1714 Wagoner Place, St. Louis, Missouri33
More About Mary Euphrasia Ranger:
Burial: August 13, 1962, Memorial Park Cemetary, St. Louis County , Missouri34
Residence: August 1962, 6100 Grimshaw, Pine Lawn, Missouri34
More About George Grimshaw and Mary Ranger:
Marriage: October 03, 1894, Normandy ( St. Ann ), Missouri35,36,37
8 iii. Sydney Jennie Grimshaw38,39, born April 07, 187040; died April 06, 195440. She married Godfried Frueh40.
9 iv. Bertha Grimshaw41, born March 17, 187142; died January 194142. She married Albert Nelson42.
10 v. Joseph Grimshaw43, born Abt. 187344.
More About Joseph Grimshaw:
Burial: April 26, 1887, St. Peters Cemetary, St. Louis, Missouri45
11 vi. Edward Grimshaw46,47, born March 16, 187448,49; died July 24, 194350. He married Mary Zyken51; born Abt. 188552.
12 vii. Charles H. Grimshaw53, born February 187953; died September 187953.
More About Charles H. Grimshaw:
Burial: St. Peters Cemetary, St. Louis, Missouri54
13 viii. Alfred Grimshaw55, born July 23, 1882 in St. Louis County, Missouri55,56,57; died May 18, 1915 in Pine Lawn, St. Louis, Missouri58. He married Elizabeth A. Miller59,60 March 31, 1909 in Clayton, Missouri61.
More About Alfred Grimshaw and Elizabeth Miller:
Marriage: March 31, 1909, Clayton, Missouri61
14 ix. Helen Virgina Grimshaw62,63, born May 26, 188564; died April 03, 1950 in Pine Lawn, St. Louis, Missouri64.
More About Helen Virgina Grimshaw:
Burial: April 05, 1950, St. Peter’s Cemetery, St. Louis, Missouri65
- George Grimshaw Baptism Record.
2. 1851 England Census – IGI Record 25274764.
3. Death Certificate – George M. Grimshaw.
4. 1851 England Census – IGI Record 25274764.
5. Ken Herrell.
6. Death Certificate – George M. Grimshaw.
7. International Genealogical Index, Batch Number M515697.
8. 1880 Census, St. Louis City , E.D. 173; Page 66B; Line 27.
9. 1870 Census, St. Louis City , Page 389B; Line=37.
10. Missouri State Board of Health, Death Certificate – Rebecca Grimshaw.
11. Ken Herrell.
12. Missouri State Board of Health, Death Certificate – Rebecca Grimshaw.
13. George Grimshaw Baptism Record, Page 264; No. 2110; Obtained by Mary Lou Mcghee.
14. Lot 573-580 Cemetery Record.
15. Missouri State Board of Health, Death Certificate – Rebecca Grimshaw.
16. International Genealogical Index, Batch Number M515697.
17. Ken Herrell.
18. Lot 573-580 Cemetery Record.
19. 1880 Census, St. Louis City , E.D.=173; Page=66B; Line=28.
20. 1870 Census, St. Louis City , Page 389B; Line 36.
21. 1870 Census, St. Louis City .
22. Brian Joseph Oster, Brian Joseph Oster WEB site, “Electronic.”
23. Death Certificate – George M. Grimshaw.
24. Brian Joseph Oster, Brian Joseph Oster WEB site, “Electronic.”
25. Death Certificate – George M. Grimshaw.
26. Susan Martin, Jeff and Susan (Coleman) Martin’s WEB site, “Electronic.”
27. Brian Joseph Oster, Brian Joseph Oster WEB site, “Electronic.”
28. St. Ann Church Archives, Reel 146, Item 7 Marriages 1880-1925.
29. Brian Joseph Oster, Brian Joseph Oster WEB site, “Electronic.”
30. Death Certificate – Mary Grimshaw.
31. Brian Joseph Oster, Brian Joseph Oster WEB site, “Electronic.”
32. Death Certificate – Mary Grimshaw.
33. Death Certificate – George M. Grimshaw.
34. Death Certificate – Mary Grimshaw.
35. Susan Martin, Jeff and Susan (Coleman) Martin’s WEB site, “Electronic.”
36. Brian Joseph Oster, Brian Joseph Oster WEB site, “Electronic.”
37. St. Ann Church Archives, Reel 146, Item 7 Marriages 1880-1925.
38. 1870 Census, St. Louis City , Page 389B; Line=39.
39. 1880 Census, St. Louis City , E.D.=173; Page 66B; Line=29.
40. Ken Herrell.
41. 1880 Census, St. Louis City , E.D.=173, Page 66B; Line=30.
42. Ken Herrell.
43. 1880 Census, St. Louis City , E.D.=173; Page=66B, Line=31.
44. 1880 Census, St. Louis City .
45. Lot 573-580 Cemetery Record.
46. 1880 Census, St. Louis City , E.D.=173; Page=66B; Line=32.
47. Ken Herrell.
48. 1900 Census – Edward Grimshaw (Soundex Card).
49. Ken Herrell.
50. Edward Grimshaw of 1874 Tombstone.
51. Ken Herrell.
52. 1920 Soundex Card for Edward Grimshaw.
53. Ken Herrell.
54. Lot 573-580 Cemetery Record.
55. 1910 – Census – Rebecca Grimshaw.
56. Ken Herrell.
57. Alfred Grimshaw’s Death Certificate.
58. Alfred Grimshaw’s Death Notice.
59. 1910 – Census – Rebecca Grimshaw.
60. Ken Herrell.
61. Alfred Grimshaw’s Death Notice.
62. Ken Herrell.
63. George Grimshaw Last Will and Testament.
64. Ken Herrell.
65. Lot 573-580 Cemetery Record.
66. William Henry Grimshaw’s Baptism Record.
67. 1851 England Census – IGI Record 25274764.
68. Henry Grimshaw’s Marriage Certificate.
69. Henry Grimshaw’s Marriage Certificate, Page 160; No. 319; Obtained by Mary Lou Mcghee.
70. William Henry Grimshaw’s Baptism Record, Page ?; No 753; Obtained by Mary Lou Mcghee.
71. 1851 England Census – IGI Record 25274764.
72. Henry Grimshaw’s Marriage Certificate, Page 160; No. 319; Obtained by Mary Lou Mcghee.
73. Mary Lou McGhee, p.945.
74. Mary Lou McGhee.
75. Mary Lou McGhee, p. 945.
76. 1880 Census, Missouri (Soundex).
Webpage posted March 2005. Updated May 2013 with addition of grave photos and webpage expansion. Updated August 2013 with addition of reference to George’s brother who immigrated to Wisconsin, addition of ancestor and descendant chart, and finalization of the webpage.