Nicholas Grimshaw of Sabden
Builder of Some 40 Cottages in about 1795
Nicholas Grimshaw, sixth generation descendant of the Nicholas Grimshaw at the head of the Pendle Forest line of Grimshaws, was responsible for constructing some 40 cottages (and a Baptist chapel) in Sabden in the late 18th century, when he was a clerk for the Sabden Printing Company. David Eaves, current resident of Sabden, has co-authored a book that includes a number of old photos, dating to 1890-1910, of buildings constructed by Nicholas. David has generously provided images of Nicholas’ buildings for this webpage as well as a considerable amount of family history for Nicholas and his descendants.
The book1, “Sabden, Past & Present, a Photographic History”, is authored by Audrey Barrett and David Eaves and is described on this webpage (below). It is available from the publisher at: Landy Publishing, “Acorns”, 3 Staining Rise, Staining, Blackpool, FY3 0BU, UK. The price is £10.00 sterling, postage free on the UK mainland. Overseas customers should add an additional £3.00 to cover postage. Audrey Barrett has kindly provided a separate description and extract of “Sabden, Past & Present”, which appears on a companion webpage.
Thanks go to David Eaves for providing the old photos from “Sabden, Past & Present, a Photographic History” for this webpage.
The properties constructed by Nicholas Grimshaw are described by David Eaves as shown below. The descriptions for the images were also provided by David.
All the properties were built on land owned by the Grimshaw family and date from c1795. Nicholas Grimshaw of Pendle was the clerk to the Sabden Printing Co., which was set up in 1792 and owned by the Bury family of Accrington.
Upon this land, sited to the north east side of the Sabden-Clitheroe road, Grimshaw erected approx 40 cottages in 4 terraces and a Baptist chapel.
Bury Row c1910.
Baptist Chapel c1890. Demolished c1902.
Cockshotts Farm c1910. Probable home of Grimshaw family and dates from late 16thC. The young boy outside the farmhouse goes by the name of Giles Collinge and was the great grandfather of a descendant who still lives in the village.
Crowtrees Row c1910. Now called Badger Wells Terrace, but also known as Grimshaw Terrace. The small building in front of the cottages is a set of outside toilets – now demolished – for use by the owners. Properties were constructed without indoor sanitation facilities and utilised water from a spring which came from a spring 2 fields behind the houses. One of the houses still uses the spring whilst others changed over to mains water when a dry summer occurred during the early 1990s and the spring dried up.
Eightacre Field c1890. In the distance can be seen the chimney of the original Sabden Print works, at present the only known existing view of the works. The field is now occupied with houses constructed during the early 1970s.
Step Row c1910. Looking both up and down the hill. The road leads to the Ribble Valley town of Clitheroe – 3 miles away – via the Nick O Pendle.
Top Row 2004. No early view of this row of properties.
David Eaves also provided the following results of his historical research of Sabden, with emphasis on members of the Grimshaw family.
… In the meantime I thought you would like a little bit of Grimshaw family information concerning Sabden properties which I took from the Deeds of Property lent to me by a neighbour who lives on Badger Wells Terrace. (… Badger Wells was originally called Crowtrees Row and when sold to its tenants at the turn of the 20thC was renamed Grimshaw Terrace in recognition of the Grimshaw family.)
1. In 1832, at the decease of Nicholas Grimshaw, Crow Tree Row together with Step Row, Top Row, Top Row Farm and Bury Row were in the possession of Nicholas Grimshaw of Height in Pendle and Holden Hammerton of Hawks House, Little Marsden, who had a small portion.
2. Upon the decease of Nicholas Grimshaw in 1832, Nicholas’ portion was bequeathed to John Grimshaw the elder, who paid Holden Hammerton 5s for his portion. John Grimshaw was married to Alice Dugdale of Rimington.
3. Upon the death of John Grimshaw the elder in 1856 the properties passed to his eldest son, John Grimshaw the younger, of Bank House, Pendle and later of Hutton Lodge of Swalby, nr Kirkby Stephen. John Grimshaw the elder’s second son, Nicholas Grimshaw (2) of Simonstone was executor of the will. John the younger was married to Mary Jane Grimshaw (no maiden name).
4. In 1911 upon the death of John Grimshaw the younger, the properties were left to his widow Mary Jane, and two daughters, Eleanor and Ada.
5. In 1913 a decision was taken within the family to lease the properties through a Deed of Covenant to John Grimshaw of of Hoarstones Cottage Fence for a lease of 999 years at a rent of £35 per year. (I think this John was probably the son of Nicholas Grimshaw (2). This was probably due to Mary Jane Grimshaw being certified a lunatic and held at Derby Hospital, and Eleanor marrying Henry Shenfield and emigrating to Canada, and Ada marrying Alfred Gregson and moving to Whitley Bay.
6. John Grimshaw followed up this Deed of Covenant later in 1913 by purchasing each of the properties at £201 each, with the aid of a mortgage from the Halifax Building Society.
7. In 1929 John Grimshaw died and the properties were renovated by his executors and the name changed from Crow Trees Row to Grimshaw Terrace in remembrance of the Grimshaw family.
As regards other properties named in the Deeds, the following information can be gleaned:
1. Top Row Farm was owned by the above down to the death of John Grimshaw in 1929, and was then sold to James and Laura Titherington, who had previously farmed at Nutter Barn Farm, and occupied the farm until 1963, when it was sold to E W Gill & Sons Ltd.
2. Until quite recently many of the owners of Step, Crow Tree and Top row were on Spring Water and a document within the deeds shows that in Sept/oct 1919 the following were occupants of Crow Tree Row:
No. 1 John Harrison; 2 Eleanor Warbrton, 3 Robert Henry Frankland; 4 Richard Quintin; 5 William Henry and Christiana Peterson; 6 Bertha Dugdale; 7 William and Hannah Hargreaves; 8 Albert Major and Florence Dyson; 9 Arthur John Parkinson; 10 Edward and Sarah Haworth.
3. The Deeds also show – no date given but probably late 19th/early 20thC that Top Row Farm and adjoining properties was occupied by Robert Sutcliffe at an annual rent of 12s 7d and there were 12 cottages and a shop adjoining the Farm.
There were 32 copyhold cottages and a shop adjoining the above cottages, which I presume to be Step row and Bury Row.
The copyhold piece of land occupied by Sabden Old Baptist Chapel Trustees was let at an annual rent of £2.1s.4d.
On a personal front you will be interested to learn that one of my ancestors, Richard Eyves (latterly spelt Eaves) of Fishwick Hall, Preston married Jane Grimshaw of Clayton, c1621. The Eaves family at this time were fervent Roman Catholics, as were the Grimshaws, and Richard lost his life in 1644 at the Battle of Marston Moor, near York, whilst fighting for the King against Cromwell’s Parliamentary Army. The Eaves family were fined as recusants and delinquents and their family home was sequestered by the government. The Eaves-Grimshaw families jointly purchased a number of properties in the Ribble Valley area of Preston, notably Bradkirk Farm at Stonyhurst, which was also sequestered.
The cover of David Eaves and Audrey Barrett’s excellent booklet on the history of Sabden is shown below. The book may be purchased as described at the top of this webpage.
Nicholas Grimshaw’s involvement in building in Sabden is described on pages 21 to 25 of the Barrett and Eave’s book:
Crow Trees Row
along with Step Row and Top Row were three terraces built by Nicholas Grimshaw of Higham, previously of Heyhouses, during the last decade of the 18th Century, when any sort of housing in the newly formed village was at a premium. The original name of Crowtrees Row could have had some connection with nesting crows though, coincidentally, another branch of the Grimshaw family inhabited a house in the Barrowford area also called “Crowtrees“.
At some point, probably in the early years of the 20th Century when the Grimshaw houses were sold off, the name was altered to Grimshaw Terrace in memory of Nicholas Grimshaw.
Another change of name was proposed in 1984 to Badger Wells Cottages but not without objection. Perhaps the objectors knew something the rest didn’t, for the stream running down the side of the row is not Badger Well Water but
Churn Clough. To top it all the “badger” of the said “well” is not all he appears to be. The word “badger” is more likely to have meant “an itinerant trader, tinker or vagrant“, who would have stopped off to refresh himself and his transport centuries ago whilst travelling on the old pack horse route from the Wellsprings over to Heyhouses and beyond. Such a theory runs contrary to the cute, black and white striped, nocturnal creature one would immediately think of.
Step Row is the terrace of cottages which climbs Clitheroe Road towards the Nick of Pendle. The name “Step Row” is an appropriate one as the roofs of the houses are stepped to accommodate the incline. The central house on the row, now 113 Clitheroe Road, is double fronted, much bigger than the rest and in the early days of the village was occupied by John Bury, brother of James and son of James Senior. It’s believed that this house predates the rest of the terrace by some years and was originally a farm house.
The lower photograph* looks up the hill from just below Bury Row. The house on the extreme right* of this picture is a substantial property, formerly two dwellings, tagged on to the end of Bury Row. Up the hill after this house is the gateway leading to the site of the original Baptist Chapel and the graveyard.
Both these photographs* of Step Row and Bury Row, on the opposite page, date from c1910.
At one time there used to be 31 houses on Top Row and a pub called the Weavers’ Arms but there are no old photographs to prove it. The picture* (right) from 2004 shows a selection of the remaining cottages.
Below* is Bury Row, once Harry Bury Row, and probably named after Henry Bury of Baxenden, grandfather of James and John Bury, who died in 1796.
But was the row built by the Burys? Possibly not, because there is some evidence to show the property in Grimshaw hands in the 1830s so perhaps they were responsible for the construction.
Not long after the printworks began, the Burys, acknowledging the need for a place of worship for themselves and their workforce, set about building one. Subscriptions were collected to build a Baptist Chapel on the hillside behind Step Row and the chapel opened for worship on 31st August 1797. It wasn’t long before the Baptist Sunday School was formed where the working class children of the village would have learnt to read. The intention, according to the custom of the time, was primarily that they might be able to read the Bible; it’s unlikely in these early days that they were taught to write.
Some of the parents were not too keen to send their children but the inducement of a penny or two per child per Sunday made all the difference. During the 1830s, the government of the time were keen to upgrade already existing Sunday schools to day schools, granting substantial amounts of money, as a means of establishing a national system of education for all children. The Baptists declined such an offer, fearing consequent inspections and possible interference from government officials particularly in the area of religious education. Had they gone ahead the future of primary education in the village might have taken a very different course.
The chapel building was originally of a simple rectangular structure and the extension to the back, shown in the photograph above right* , was added in 1835 and used for schoolrooms for both the Sunday school and adult evening classes.
This early church was without a baptistry so adults, professing their faith were baptised in one of the lodges known to have existed and built for the print works at the foot of Churn Clough. In 1844, a baptistry was finally constructed within the chapel.
The old Baptist chapel does not exist today but the graveyard is still there and buried within it are many of Sabden’s earliest inhabitants.
In 1865 the old chapel was raised by 120 cm (4 feet). The photograph (right* ) is the oldest known picture of the chapel, taken in 1865, before this work began.
* Author’s Note: the references are to photos as they appear in the booklet but may also be found further up on this webpage.
Shown below is a sketch map of the north part of Sabden with the buildings referenced above:
The buildings are shown clearly on Ordnance Maps of 1845-48, 1880, and 1912 (p. 58, 67, and 91 of Barrett and Eaves’ book), which are shown below:
The building locations can also be seen on the topographic map (second map) in the next section.
Sabden is on the road between Clitheroe and Padiham that crosses the southwestern end of Pendle Hill, a prominent geographic feature of the area. Maps showing Sabden and the surrounding area are shown below.
The road leading past (south of) Bury Row and Crow Tree Row is shown in the above map as CR. RD, indicating that it is named “Crowtree Road”.
Whitaker2 has published an extensive descendant chart for the Pendle Hill Grimshaw line which is described on a companion webpage. The following descendant chart is extracted from Whitaker’s chart, supplemented with descendant information for Eleanor Grimshaw provided by Barbara Alteman. The Nicholas Grimshaw who was responsible for construction of the cottages in Sabden is shown in bold. He was married twice, first to Mary Riley and second to Elizabeth Harrison Parker, and had a number of children.
Nicholas Grimshaw & ? [Head of Pendle Forest Line of Grimshaws]
|—–Thomas Grimshaw & ?
|—–|—–Nicholas Grimshaw & Margaret ?
|—–|—–|—–John Grimshaw & ?
|—–|—–|—–Nicholas Grimshaw (baptized 9 Oct 1636 – bur 25 May 1736) & Isabel Whitaker. Married at Burnley 1664.
|—–|—–|—–|—–John Grimshaw (? – 1745) & Eleanor Stephenson (? – 17 Dec 1749)
|—–|—–|—–|—–Nicholas Grimshaw & Anne Grimshaw (9 May 1631 – ?)
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Thomas Grimshaw (1703 – 28 Jun 1783) & Margaret Holt (? – 27 Mar 1793)
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|——Nicholas Grimshaw* (20 May 1738 – 19 May 1825) & Mary Riley (? – 27 Mar 1793)
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Thomas Grimshaw (9 Mar 1765 – 11 Feb 1842) & Grace Gibson (? – 1 Sep 1842)
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–James Grimshaw (6 Apr 1791 – 3 May 1844) & Mary Ashworth
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Thomas Grimshaw (7 Jan 1794 – 15 Aug 1824) & Mary Bracewell
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Christopher Grimshaw (20 Mar 1801 – 28 Jul 1865) & Mary Swinglehurst (? – 18 Jul 1841)
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Betty Grimshaw (15 Dec 1766 – ?) & William Hartley
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Mary Grimshaw & John Crossley
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|——Nicholas Grimshaw* (20 May 1738 – 19 May 1825) & Elizabeth Harrison Parker (? – bur. 7 Dec 1812)
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Nicholas Grimshaw (1 May 1779 – 29 Aug 1840)
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–John Grimshaw (9 Oct 1780 – ?)
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Anne Grimshaw & Thomas Preston
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–John Grimshaw* (14 Jul 1784 – 17 Jun 1856) & Nancy Whitaker (? – 13 Sep 1823). Married 2 May 1816.
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Elizabeth Grimshaw (? – Feb 1832)
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Nicholas Grimshaw (26 Mar 1819 – 19 Aug 1823)
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–James Grimshaw (12 Apr 1822 – 19 Sep 1823)
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–John Grimshaw* (14 Jul 1784 – 17 Jun 1856) & Alice Dugdale (? – 19 Sep 1881)
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–John Grimshaw (14 Sep 1833 – ) & Mary Jane Hutton. Married 10 Dec 1853.
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Eleanor Grimshaw* & George Charles Dixon
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Mary Grimshaw Dixon (18 Jul 1891 – ) & John Hutton
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Gordon Dixon Hutton (4 Jun 1914 – ) & Margaret Wetherby Ker
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–David Allan Hutton (21 Sep 1946 – ) & Diane Davis (28 Dec 1942 – )
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Janet Mary Joyce Hutton (15 Oct 1947 – ) & Gordon Bosomworth
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Barbara Eleanor Hutton (5 Apr 1918 – ) & Ernest Clarence Alteman
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Mary Kim Alteman (26 Aug 1946 – ) & Leslie E. Tomlin
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Gordon Albert Alteman (6 Jun 1950 – ) & Lucie Chartrand
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Kenneth Dixon Alteman (17 Jun 1955 – ) & Rhonda Leigh Montgomery
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Frederick Allan Hutton (21 Sep 1920 – 1922)
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Eleanor Grimshaw* & Harry Edward Shenfield
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Eleanor Dorothy Shenfield (31 Oct 1895 – )
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Annie Maud Shenfield (29 Apr 1897 – 20 Mar 1899)
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Margaret Jeanne Shenfield (4 Nov 1898 – )
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–John Shenfield (4 Nov 1898 – )
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Marjorie Eda Shenfield (14 Oct 1899 – )
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Norah Lillian Shenfield (6 Feb 1902 – )
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Stanley Henry Shenfield (25 Mar 1904 – 1904)
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Constance Elaine Shenfield (29 Jul 1905 – )
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Nicholas Grimshaw (24 Jan 1866 – )
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Ada Grimshaw & Alfred Gregson
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Anne Grimshaw & Bernard Hartley
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–William Grimshaw (16 Feb 1836 – ?) & Sarah Mitchell
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|——John William Grimshaw (10 Mar 1858 – 10 Jan 1866)
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|——Mary Alice Grimshaw
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|——Nicholas Herbert Grimshaw (11 Dec 1861 – ?)
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|——Elizabeth Anne Grimshaw
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|——Henry Grimshaw (25 Jun 1866 – ?)
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Nicholas Grimshaw (22 Nov 1838 – ?)
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Richard Grimshaw (8 Mar 1840 – ?) & Esther Starkie
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Thomas Grimshaw (21 Sep 1841 – ?)
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–James Grimshaw (20 Jul 1843 – ?) & Alice Keirby
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|——John Keirby Grimshaw (19 Jul 1871 – ?)
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Christopher Grimshaw (11 Mar 1847 – ?) & Mary Ann Theresa Moffatt
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Betty Grimshaw & John Holt
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Nicholas Grimshaw (bapt 18 Apr 1714 – ?)& Susan Briercliffe
|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–|—–Anne Grimshaw & William Hartley
|—–|—–|—–|—–Christopher Grimshaw & Sarah ? (? – 1751)
John Laycock3 published the following informatoon on Nicholas Grimshaw and his two families:
A prominent monument at St. Anne’s Church in Fence marks the burial place of a number of Nicholas’ descendants, including two sons (Nicholas and John, and John’s wife Alice) and 14 other descendants. This monument is described on a companionwebpage.
The Pendle Forest line of Grimshaws is described on a companion webpage. Christopher Telfer has also done quite a bit of research on the Pendle Forest Grimshaw line, which is summarized on a companionwebpage. In addition, the following summary was found on a website for Manchester:
The Grimshaw Family of Crowtree & SabdenFor the greater part of the 19th century the Grimshaws of Crowtree were one of the most influential families in Barrowford. Records show the Grimshaw family history dating back certainly as early as 1276 when one Richard De Grymishagh held the tenememt of Crowtree, near Blackburn, which he had inherited from his father Walter. One Nicholas Grimshaw of Heyhouses lived in Sabden during the reign of Queen Elizabeth II. The main branch of the family continued to live there latter years of the 17th century. The family had probably taken its name from the local district, originally spelt Grymishagh or Grymishaw, (meaning ‘an open wood’). In the 14th century, Adam De Grimshaw had married Cicely De Clayton, and thereafter this branch of the family resided at Clayton Hall, Clayton Le Moors. The rest of the Grimshaw family lived at Sabden, which was to be their family home from around 1594 to 1800 when (another) Nicholas Grimshaw sold it.
The tragic Moorfield Pit disaster of 7th November 1883 saw 68 men and boys killed and injured, many of the Grimshaw men among them – a plaque on the A678 bridge over the Leeds and Liverpool Canal near the Moorfield Colliery site
1Barrett, Audrey, and David Eaves, 2004, Sabden, Past & Present, a Photographic History: Blackpool, Lancs., UK, Landy Publishing, 96 p.
2Whitaker, Thomas Dunham, 1872, An History of the Original Parish of Whalley, and Honor of Clitheroe (Revised and enlarged by John G. Nichols and Ponsonby A. Lyons): London, George Routledge and Sons, 4th Edition; v. I, 362 p.; v. II, 622 p. Earlier editions were published in 1800, 1806, and 1825.
3Laycock, John A, date unknown, A Guide to the Genealogy of the County Around Pendle Hill, Lancashire : vol. 1, Sabden, Lancashire, consisting of one hundred families, each with difference surnames having some connection with Sabden: Original Publication Unknown. Published also: Salt Lake City, Utah, LDS Family History Library, British Section, Film #973341, Item 4 (filmed in 1975).
Webpage posted March 2005. Updated December 2006 with addition of image from John Laycock on Nicholas’ descendants.